It has been over 30 years since the Delta Fly Fishers, in conjunction with the California Sportfishing Protection Alliance, sued the East Bay Municipal Utility District regarding the collapse of the Chinook salmon and steelhead fisheries on the lower Mokelumne. Since that time, EBMUD has not only met all of the requirements of the Joint Settlement Agreement but has gone well beyond what was required of them. Through their efforts, the returning salmon counts have gone from fewer than 50 to over16,000 in some years. They currently have three fisheries biologists on their staff and fund the costs of the Camanche Hatchery as mitigation for the use of the bountiful pristine Mokelumne river water.
At this month’s meeting, Michelle Workman, the Supervising Fisheries and Wildlife Biologist for the district will speak regarding the current health of the Mokelumne and the other rivers in the southern Sierra watershed.
Michelle manages a staff of nine and coordinates the long term fisheries monitoring programs, fisheries research, and habitat restoration projects in the Mokelumne River and watershed. She has 17 years of experience with EBMUD, and 5 years of experience with the US Fish and Wildlife Service working on salmonid management and restoration projects on the Tuolumne River, Merced River and the San Joaquin River Restoration Program. She received her Bachelor of Science in 1991 and Master of Science in 1999 in Biological Sciences with a concentration in Biological Conservation from California State University, Sacramento.
While not a “fishing” program, we all need to be watchdogs regarding the health of streams, rivers and lakes. This program will provide us with the information necessary to be good stewards of our water resources.
The meeting will be held at the John R.. Williams School, Don Avenue, Stockton on February 10th at 7:30. Members are encouraged to bring a friend and the general public is invited as well
January Outing to the Yuba cancelled due to high water. Rescheduled for February 13th.
The outing to the Lower Yuba River outing for January 30th was cancelled because a forecast storm front was expected to blow out the river on the day of the schedule outing. The forecasted storm did raise river flows from 600 to over 16,000 cfs on January 30th. The outing was rescheduled to February 13th which could be even better date for this outing if weather and river conditions permits. Those persons who wanted to join this outing but were unable to get a space before should contact Bob Fujimura at firstname.lastname@example.org or (209) 339-0683. We had a few cancellations from the original group but already have two or more members who are interested in attending this rescheduled outing.